Morrow County was one of the last counties to be created in the state. The architectural and construction work for the courthouse was awarded in April, 1852, on the best bid of $10,800 submitted by David Ault. Completed the following year was a striking example of Greek Revival style architecture. The two-story rectangular structure, faced with brick and stone, has served as the only hall of justice in the county’s history. Since its completion, extensive additions have been added to the building, enhancing both its appearance and performance. The only unfortunate development of the building’s appearance came when the large elaborate spire, that crowned the building and was visible for miles, was removed. The feature was rescued by the Morrow County Historical Society where it is now on display for visitors to admire.
Taken from the Great 88, a guide prepared by the Ohio Department of Development.